Franz Kafka

Monday, November 28, 2016

"Der Fahrgast, On the tram (The passenger)" by Franz Kafka: "Der Fahrgast," English version. "Der Fahrgast, On the tram (The passenger)" by Franz Kafka, translated in English, with Original Text in German

Picture of Franz Kakfa, ca. 1910

 

 On the tram (The passenger)


I stand on the platform of a tramway car and I feel profoundly uncertain as to my position in this world, in this city, and in my family. Not even by accident I could tell which sensible demands I might set forward rightly. I can not justify to myself the fact that I stand on this platform, I hold to this strap, I let myself be carried by this car, that people avoid the tram, or stride on quietly, or stops before the shops’ windows. No one ask me the reason, but that is irrelevant.
The car approaches a stop; a girl goes towards the exit, ready to alight. She appears to me so distinctly, as if I were touching her. She is dressed in black, the skirt's folds almost do not move, the blouse is tight and has a white lace collar, the left hand she holds flat against the wall, the umbrella in her right hand is on the second step from the bottom. Her face is brown, her nose pressed at the sides, ends in a rounded and wide shape. She has a lot of brown hair and on her right temple her hair is swept aside. Her small ear adheres closely, but I can see, as I am near, the whole back of the ear and its shade at the joint.
Then I asked myself: why is it that she is not surprised about herself, and keeps her mouth shut and says nothing about it?


From "The Tales of Franz Kafka: English Translation With Original Text In German," available as e-book on Amazon KindleiPhone, iPad, or iPod touchon NOOK Bookon Kobo, and as printed, traditional edition through Lulu.  

 

Original Text in German:

 

Der Fahrgast


Ich stehe auf der Plattform des elektrischen Wagens und bin vollständig unsicher in Rücksicht meiner Stellung in dieser Welt, in dieser Stadt, in meiner Familie. Auch nicht beiläufig könnte ich angeben, welche Ansprüche ich in irgendeiner Richtung mit Recht vorbringen könnte. Ich kann es gar nicht verteidigen, daß ich auf dieser Plattform stehe, mich an dieser Schlinge halte, von diesem Wagen mich tragen lasse, daß Leute dem Wagen ausweichen oder still gehn, oder vor den Schaufenstern ruhn. — Niemand verlangt es ja von mir, aber das ist gleichgültig.
Der Wagen nähert sich einer Haltestelle, ein Mädchen stellt sich nahe den Stufen, zum Aussteigen bereit. Sie erscheint mir so deutlich, als ob ich sie betastet hätte. Sie ist schwarz gekleidet, die Rockfalten bewegen sich fast nicht, die Bluse ist knapp und hat einen Kragen aus weißer klemmaschiger Spitze, die linke Hand hält sie flach an die Wand, der Schirm in ihrer Rechten steht auf der zweitobersten Stufe. Ihr Gesicht ist braun, die Nase, an den Seiten schwach gepreßt, schließt rund und breit ab. Sie hat viel braunes Haar und verwehte Härchen an der rechten Schläfe. Ihr kleines Ohr liegt eng an, doch sehe ich, da ich nahe stehe, den ganzen Rücken der rechten Ohrmuschel und den Schatten an der Wurzel.
Ich fragte mich damals: Wieso kommt es, daß sie nicht über sich verwundert ist, daß sie den Mund geschlossen hält und nichts dergleichen sagt?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Check out the author's bookstore to browse and purchase both printed and e-book editions!