Franz Kafka

Friday, June 10, 2016

"Illusa Gioventù," by Vincenzo Cardarelli; "Deluded Youth ," by Vincenzo Cardarelli, English version, translated in English, "Illusa Gioventù," by Vincenzo Cardarelli

Pierre-Auguste Renoir, Girls at the Piano, 1892, Musée d'Orsay, Paris

 

Deluded Youth 


Oh youth, innocence, illusions,
time with no sin, golden age!
After you are past and gone
one uses to regret you
as a lost treasure.
I do know that you were a misfortune.
I know that fire you were not, rather ice,
oh my candid, boyish faiths,
beneath whose mantle I lived
like a tree trunk buried under the snow:
a green, mossy trunk,
rich in sap and sterile.
Now that, exhausted and gnawed,
having let loose of you, in a heartbeat I traveled
my blooming seasons
and I see scattered on the ground
the small fruit they yielded,
now that my fate I have known,
whichever that is I ask not. So rapidly
flees away life that any fate is fine
for such a brief day.
My only regret is you, oh early deceits.

 From "Vincenzo Cardarelli: The Forgotten amongst the Great. A Collection of the Best Poems by Vincenzo Cardarelli, Translated in English," available as e-book on Amazon Kindle, iPhone, iPad, or iPod touchon NOOK Bookon Koboand as printed, traditional edition through Lulu.
 

Illusa Gioventù


O gioventù, innocenza, illusioni,
tempo senza peccato, secol d'oro!
Poi che trascorsi siete
si costuma rimpiangervi
quale un perduto bene.
Io so che foste un male.
So che non foco, ma ghiaccio eravate,
o mie candide fedi giovanili,
sotto il cui manto vissi
come un tronco sepolto nella neve:
tronco verde, muscoso,
ricco di linfa e sterile.
Ora che, esausto e roso,
sciolto da voi percorsi in un baleno
le mie fiorenti stagioni
e sparso a terra vedo
il poco frutto che han dato,
ora che la mia sorte ho conosciuta,
qual essa sia non chiedo. Così rapida
fugge la vita che ogni sorte è buona
per tanto breve giornata.
Solo di voi mi dolgo, primi inganni.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Check out the author's bookstore to browse and purchase both printed and e-book editions!