Franz Kafka

Saturday, February 4, 2017

"Der Nachhause Weg, The Way Home" by Franz Kafka: English version. "Der Nachhause Weg, The Way Home" by Franz Kafka, translated in English, with Original Text in German

Franz Kafka in 1910

 

The Way Home



    You see the persuasiveness of the air after the storm! My merits become evident and overwhelm me, when I don not put up any resistance.
    I walk and my pace is the pace of this side of the street, this street, this neighborhood. I am responsible, and rightly so, for all attacks against doors, on the boards of the tables, for all toasts drunk, for the lovers in their beds, in the scaffolding of the new buildings, pressed against the walls of houses in dark alleys, on the divans of the brothels.

    I weigh my past against my future, but find both excellent, no one can give either the preference and only the injustice of Providence, which favors me so, I have to blame. Only as I step into my room, I'm a little thoughtful, without having found anything worth reflecting upon as I climbed the stairs. It helps me not much, that I open the window completely and that in a garden the music is still playing.


From "The Tales of Franz Kafka: English Translation With Original Text In German," available as e-book on Amazon KindleiPhone, iPad, or iPod touchon NOOK Bookon Kobo, and as printed, traditional edition through Lulu.  

Original Text in German:

Der Nachhause Weg



Man sehe die Überzeugungskraft der Luft nach dem Gewitter! Meine Verdienste erscheinen mir und überwältigen mich, wenn ich mich auch nicht sträube.
Ich marschiere und mein Tempo ist das Tempo dieser Gassenseite, dieser Gasse, dieses Viertels. Ich bin mit Recht verantwortlich für alle Schläge gegen Türen, auf die Platten der Tische, für alle Trinksprüche, für die Liebespaare in ihren Betten, in den Gerüsten der Neubauten, in dunklen Gassen an die Häusermauern gepreßt, auf den Ottomanen der Bordelle.
Ich schätze meine Vergangenheit gegen meine Zukunft, finde aber beide vortrefflich, kann keiner von beiden den Vorzug geben und nur die Ungerechtigkeit der Vorsehung, die mich so begünstigt, muß ich tadeln. Nur als ich in mein Zimmer trete, bin ich ein wenig nachdenklich, aber ohne daß ich während des Treppensteigens etwas Nachdenkenswertes gefunden hätte. Es hilft mir nicht viel, daß ich das Fenster gänzlich öffne und daß in einem Garten die Musik noch spielt.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Check out the author's bookstore to browse and purchase both printed and e-book editions!