Franz Kafka

Friday, September 11, 2015

"Alla deriva" by Vincenzo Cardarelli; "Adrift," by Vincenzo Cardarelli, English version, translated in English by LiteraryJoint

 
"Vincenzo Cardarelli: The Forgotten amongst the Great. A Collection of the Best Poems by Vincenzo Cardarelli, Translated in English," available as e-book on Amazon Kindle, iPhone, iPad, or iPod touchon NOOK Bookon Koboand as printed, traditional edition through Lulu.

 

Adrift


I myself have punished life by living it.
Till where my heart could bear
I boldly ventured.
Now my day is no else
than a sterile repetition
of ill habits
and I wish I could set free from the black circle.
Once I make it to dawn,
a fancy takes hold of me, a craving
of not to sleep.
And I dream absurd departures,
impossible liberations.
Alas. All my enclosed
and burning remorse
has no other easement
than sleep, when it comes.
In vain, in vain strive I
to possess the days
that overwhelm me noisily.
I myself drown in time.


By Vincenzo Cardarelli, from the collection "Poesie," 1949. From "Vincenzo Cardarelli: The Forgotten amongst the Great. A Collection of the Best Poems by Vincenzo Cardarelli, Translated in English," available as e-book on Amazon Kindle, iPhone, iPad, or iPod touchon NOOK Bookon Koboand as printed, traditional edition through Lulu.

 

Alla deriva


La vita io l'ho castigata vivendola.
Fin dove il cuore mi resse
arditamente mi spinsi.
Ora la mia giornata non è più
che uno sterile avvicendarsi
di rovinose abitudini
e vorrei evadere dal nero cerchio.
Quando all'alba mi riduco,
un estro mi piglia, una smania
di non dormire.
E sogno partenze assurde,
liberazioni impossibili.
Oimè. Tutto il mio chiuso
e cocente rimorso
altro sfogo non ha
fuor che il sonno, se viene.
Invano, invano lotto
per possedere i giorni
che mi travolgono rumorosi.
Io annego nel tempo.

By Vincenzo Cardarelli, from the collection "Poesie," 1949. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Check out the author's bookstore to browse and purchase both printed and e-book editions!